Sunday 8 April 2012

An Old Speedway Coat Will Never Let You Down

Easter Sunday weather forecast for the first double header of the season would have Noah worried so there's nothing else to do but clear out the cupboard under the stairs. Under a pile of coats of various styles there I found it, it was like rediscovering an old friend, memories came flooding back. Razza's Grand Slam win at Oxford in 1988, the optimism of a KO Cup Final trip to the East of England Showground in 1992 (it was good while it lasted: until Heat 1 if I remember rightly!) and the tears shed at the final meeting in 1993. Complete with National League Speedway emblem and Rye House Rockets patch it was my old speedway coat purchased at the track in 1987. "How old is that?" said the daughter "Older than you" replied Dad "Please tell me you're not going to wear it." "Why not?" "Do I really have to tell you?" So it looks a bit retro but there's no way you can replace class. The Mrs reckons it will come up a treat if I fork out £10 to get it dry cleaned. I think it's time for a comeback so if the Rockets make the play offs I'll be turning back the years giving my old friend another airing. It may not compete with Steve Webb's Union Jack trousers but what does? Up The Rockets

No comments:

Post a Comment